Posted by Tree In A Box on April 12, 2017
Any day where you plant a tree or spend time appreciating trees is a great day but May 16th, National Love a Tree Day, holds a special place in the hearts of all of us at Tree In A Box. While the origins of this special day might be a mystery, the benefits of trees are not. Trees have many benefits, they provide us clean air to breathe, they shade is from the summer sun, and they protect from erosion and water run off. With all the great things that trees do for us, taking a day to honor their purpose and show them how much we love them shouldn't be too much to ask.
National Love a Tree day is a great way to appreciate the significance of trees and what they do for the Earth. We know what trees give us, here are a few ways you can show your appreciation and love of trees:
1. Use less of them: upcycle your scrap paper and recycle what you cannot reuse. At work, print only essential documents and if you have to print, print double sided.
2. Give them a cool drink of water: In the Pacific Northwest, we do not have to worry about watering our trees just yet but other areas are not so lucky.Trees need an average of 10 gallons of water per inch of trunk diameter.It takes patience and time but the result is a regular root soaking will make a world of difference to a tree’s long-term health.
3. Plant a tree: The inspiring wisdom found in this old Chinese proverb, "The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.” is right on point.A tree planted today will be enjoyed for decades to come.Just think your grandchildren and great grandchildren can be relaxing on a hot summer day enjoying the shade of the tree that you plant today.
4. Hug a tree: That might sound odd but trees have been known to improve concentration levels, lower depression and stress, and help us heal faster. Release your inner “tree hugger” and show a tree some love.
5. Enjoy their offerings: Sit under their branches and enjoy their shade.Climb their limbs to play or read a book.Or just walk around looking at their beauty. What kinds of trees are in your neighborhood?
Send a tree to a friend, make it event more special by sending a tree in a box special occasion themed tree kit.